Top 10 reasons to take a 72 day, 16,000 mile motorcycle trip
#2 – Iron butt challenge….
Several of our friends have suggested we might qualify for some “Iron Butt” challenges. So….we checked out the web site and found out….we are more of “Fluff Your Butt” riders. It’s not so much about making a long distance in a short amount of time….for us it’s about enjoying the country we are traveling through and we’ll get there….eventually!
Here are some of the Iron Butt challenges we will not qualify for:
- SaddleSore & Bunburner 1000 miles in under 24 hours / 1500 miles in under 36 hours!
- SS2000 2,000 documented miles in under 48 hours!
- SS 3000 / BB 3000 3,000 miles in three days
- SaddleSore 5000 5,000 miles in 5 days
- BunBurner GOLD 1500 documented miles in under 24 hours! Xtreme!
- BBG3000 Two back-to-back BunBurner GOLD rides; 3000 miles in 48 hours! Xtreme!
- 10-10ths Ten consectutive Saddlesore rides; 10,000 miles in 10 days! Xtreme!
- 100k Club 100,000 documented miles in one year. ‘Nuff said. Xtreme!
- 50CC Coast to Coast in under 50 hours!
- 100CCC Coast to Coast, and back to the starting Coast all under 100 hours!
- 48-10 Ride all lower 48 states in 10 days!
- Border-to-Border Insanity! Mexico-USA-Canada in less than 24 hours!
The one Iron Butt Challenge we might actually be able to do:
- National Parks Tour Visit at least 50 National Parks, Monuments, etc in at least 25 states within 1 year
We stopped in at White Sands National Monument today (yep, that’s where the TODAY show was broadcasting from this morning) and picked up a National Parks Passport book. We have already identified about 25 that we will definitely be visiting. We may have to take another trip to pick up a few more when we get back…but, we are fairly confident we can complete this challenge! It’s more our speed! An extra bonus…2016 is the 100th Anniversary of the National Park Service…seems appropriate to do this one this year! And…we will be visiting Yellowstone, the oldest national park.
If you are an “Iron Butt”-er, leave us a comment….would love to hear about your adventure!