We didn’t expect the amount of attention we get when riding the Spyder around. Every where we go, people stop us to ask about it.
The first one was on the way home from San Antonio, TX. Chet was re-fueling and a little boy came over to ask if he could have his mom take his picture by the Spyder. Sure! Chet got a kick out of it. That was the first of many of those encounters.
Some of the more memorable ones:
- On a day trip up to Los Alamos and Santa Fe, we stopped for lunch at Harry’s Roadhouse in Santa Fe. There were 3 older couples coming out of the restaurant. They surrounded us and a 20 minute conversation ensued about the joys of riding motorcycles.
- The clerk at Samy’s camera shop in Pasadena talked to us for 30 minutes, wanted to check out the motorcycle and hear all about our planned trip.
- As we pulled into an In-N-Out in California, there was a couple in a car following us into the parking lot. They wanted to check out the Spyder, but when a little boy came running over dragging his dad along, they let him have all the excitement.
- The local “old codger” going into Duffy’s tavern, who stopped to say “nice ride”!
- The German couple who tailgated us down CA-1 trying to get a picture.
- Having lunch at Big Daddy’s Diner in Cloudcroft, NM. We pulled into the parking lot and Chet says, we are getting some looks. There was a whole group of ladies looking out the window and pointing. As we sat down to eat, they came through to pay their bills at the counter. They were headed to Sacramento Lodge for a weekend of quilting. They came over to our table and wanted to know all about the bike and our planned trip.
On the trip to California, we started talking about how much fun it was to talk with people about the Lower 48, No Interstate trip. Maybe we could create something to give them with the blog and Facebook addresses, so they could follow us. At the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta the balloon pilots hand out trading cards with information about their balloon and their web sites so you can follow them. We thought this would be kind of cool to do for our trip. So, we took some pictures, designed a trading card and had them printed by PrimoPrint.
We gave some to the ladies in Cloudcroft, they loved the idea! We are thinking it will be fun to give them to the little kids, take their picture on the Spyder and post them on the blog.
When we see you on the trip, be sure to ask us for one. Chet says, if nothing else, you can use them to clip to your bicycle wheels!